About Hawaii Youth Symphony (HYS):
Children who make music embody commitment, discipline, teamwork and persistence; all proven to be vital to success in school and to joy in life.
Vision: Making music is a right, not a privilege.
Mission: To help youth develop to their fullest potential through orchestral music, in the setting of our Islands’ unique culture.
A 501(c)3 not-for-profit based in Hawaii, HYS serves more than 750 children on five islands and produces and presents more than 40 orchestra, jazz, and ensemble concerts per season and 20 programs with a budget of $1.5 million and 20 employees.
The Finance Manager performs the accounting tasks which include analyzing and reconciling accounts, researching variances, fulfilling document requests, preparing audit support, and maintaining process and controls documentation. The Finance Manager works with the external accounting firm.
- Manage A/P and A/R
- Manage online payment gateways, such as Bill.com, Stripe, Blackbaud.
- Manage credit card accounts.
- Review financial statements, workpapers, and journal entries prepared by external accountants/auditors.
- Respond to document requests in a timely manner.
- Obtain invoices from vendors/contractors and ensure timely payment.
- Work with the President to manage the financial aid, scholarship, and travel assistance program.
- Ensure proper internal controls and compliance with Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) financial accounting and reporting standards.
- Submit state tax filings including Hawaii General Excise Tax.
- Maintain an orderly accounting and personnel records filing system.
- Maintain corporate registrations.
- Prepare salary and benefits surveys.
- Cashier merchandise sales at special events and concerts.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or similar.
- 2-5 years’ experience in accounting or finance function.
- Experience in not-for-profit industry a plus.
- Computer proficiency required (Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook).
- Experience using Abila MIP a plus.
- Perform responsibilities with a high degree of integrity, ensuring timeliness, accuracy, and compliance with GAAP.
- Must be extremely detail oriented with high accuracy and productivity.
- Must be highly responsive with strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to manage competing and sometimes shifting priorities in a deadline-oriented environment.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Positive, energetic attitude toward work and the organization, as well as a spirit of cooperation and respect for co-workers.
- Dedication and commitment to engage in and promote diversity, equity, and inclusion within the staff, vendors, and within interactions with the surrounding community is a must
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to the mission of Hawaii Youth Symphony.
COVID Workplace Safety Requirements
This position will require you to interact with employees, patrons, vendors and others who may or may not be vaccinated or recently tested. You will be required to wear personal protection equipment (PPE) required by the State of Hawaii, City & County of Honolulu and the Hawaii Youth Symphony. You agree to comply at all times with the Hawaii Youth Symphony’s COVID-19 protection policies, including vaccination and testing requirements.
How to Apply
To apply, submit a cover letter and resumé through Altres HR Symphony. Applicants called for an interview should be prepared to provide three references (2 professional and 1 personal). We will accept applications until the position is filled. Hawaii Youth Symphony is an equal opportunity employer. For more information, visit www.hiyouthsymphony.org.
Employment Type: Part Time
Remote Type: Work From Home Flexibility
Compensation: $47.50 to $50.00 / Hourly