What is a Special Education Teacher?
A Special Education Teacher educates children who face physical, mental, emotional, and learning disabilities. These teachers work in various settings, such as schools and child care centers.
What does a Special Education Teacher do?
Special Education Teachers develop teaching plans according to students’ learning needs. They search for activities and resources that can be easily adapted to each child’s educational requirements. They also collaborate with school counselors, occupational therapists, psychologists, and parents to help children develop and socialize.
Special Education Teacher job duties include:
- Assessing children’s skills and learning requirements
- Designing Individualized Educational Plans (IEPs)
- Collaborating with parents and school staff to track students’ progress
We are looking for a Special Education Teacher to join our team of educators.
You will be responsible for teaching groups of students with mild or moderate disabilities. You will modify existing curriculum on basic subjects (e.g. math, writing) to meet each student’s learning requirements and build individual lesson plans tailored to their specific needs. You will also discuss with parents and support staff about important matters that might impede students’ progress.
Ultimately, you will help and inspire children to achieve important learning milestones.
- Assess students’ abilities and craft teaching plans
- Adapt learning materials to students’ needs
- Keep track of and reflect on students’ progress
- Monitor children’s behavioral patterns and arrange appropriate interventions if needed
- Find engaging activities to teach skills (e.g. drawing and theater drama)
- Manage classroom crises and resolve conflict
- Prepare students for transition to the next grade
- Inform parents about their children’s performance and potential problems
- Coach/mentor other professionals who work with children with disabilities
- Collaborate with the support staff (e.g. school counselors and speech therapists) to create holistic intervention plans
Requirements and skills
- Proven experience as a Special Education Teacher or relevant role
- Good knowledge of current special education topics and methodologies
- Experience working with children with a wide range of disabilities
- Ability to create IEPs
- A patient, resourceful, and resilient personality
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Valid state special education certificate
- BSc in Special Education; MSc is a plus
Employment Type: Full Time
Compensation: $51000.00 to $73481.00 / Salary