Job Description & Employment Terms
Golf Course Assistant Superintendent
DEPARTMENT: Grounds Course Maintenance JOB TITLE: Golf Course Assistant Superintendent
REPORTS TO: Superintendent
JOB TYPE: Exempt
BASIC FUNCTION: Under the direction and supervision of the Superintendent, the assistant superintendent manages the daily operation of maintenance operation. The assistant assigns, monitors, follows up, and reports to the superintendent on all maintenance tasks for the day. The assistant trains qualify, instructs, corrects, and recommends action for all employees and their daily functions. The assistant is responsible for daily staff management and task completion as such.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Trains and supervises all personnel doing operator, labor, or irrigation work.
- Assigns tasks for the day.
- Gives complete instructions, ensuring proper preparation for all tasks.
- Instructs, monitors, and corrects all work.
- Monitors equipment performance and troubleshoots, fixes, and/or reports the need for assistance to the mechanic or superintendent.
- Monitors and corrects all safety aspects of any job.
- Keeps the Superintendent informed on task progress and any problems that may or do arise.
- Accounts for all crew personnel.
- Makes sure work time is used efficiently.
- Reports back to the Superintendent at the end of each day on all job progress and plans for completion.
- Is responsible for the weekend crew and course setup.
- Is responsible for the maintenance operation in the absence of the superintendent.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES- The assistant superintendent also accomplishes tasks and monitors conditions such as but not limited to the following:
- Report to the superintendent any personnel issue needing attention like safety or handbook infractions.
Reports to the superintendent about any impending mechanical breakage of machinery.
- Monitors turf, shrub, tree, and utility conditions and corrects or reports to the superintendent when additional resources are needed.
- Evaluates operators, laborers, and irrigation technician.
- Provides professional opinion.
- Is reachable by cell phone and generally available in times of emergency.
- Responds to any emergency.
- Performs any jobs as needed.
WORKING CONDITIONS- This job requires regular and predictable attendance from 5:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, and from 5:00 a.m. - 7:30 a.m. on Saturdays and Sundays. Additional work hours and days will be required as needed. Some work will require office time, but most of the work time will be spent in the field w/ the crew. The assistant must generally be reachable 24 hours a day.
MENTAL DEMANDS- This job requires mindfulness for safety, organization, ambition, the pursuit of continuing education, taking responsibility, anticipation, attention to detail, and completion. This job also requires multi-tasking, memory retention, self-evaluation and correction, system/protocol evaluation and feedback, communication, and cooperation.
- Skills/Requirements - This position requires reading, writing and speaking in English; communicating instructions and systematically training and supervising groups or individuals; reading, interpreting and understanding chemical and fertilizer labels, technical bulletins, and government regulations; doing addition, subtraction, multiplication; computing percentages, ratios, fractions, decimals and algebra; understanding, converting and calculating values in any unit of measure both standard and metric; using a calculator; writing reports; filling out records; understanding equipment operator manuals; good eye and hand coordination; driving automatic or standard transmission; driving or walking in straight and proportionately curved lines; independently retaining and carrying out instructions in written or oral form; and communicating issues, results, concerns, and ideas.
- Education – Must have a high school diploma and a college degree in an agricultural field would be preferred. Must have 5 years of experience on a golf course maintenance staff with 2 years being in a supervisory position. Must possess or obtain within six months of acquiring the position a State of Hawaii Pesticide License Category 3 and must always upkeep this license.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS- While performing this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, bend, kneel, squat, dig, shovel, step down into, talk, and hear. The employee is required to reach with arms and hands, climb and balance; regularly lift, lower, push and pull fifty pounds. The employee must meet vision requirements of close, distant, color, peripheral, and depth perception.
WORK ENVIRONMENT- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions, chemicals, and fertilizers, odors, dust, moving mechanical parts, vibration, and hazards inherent to golf courses such as flying golf balls and elevated noise levels. When required, duties will be performed while wearing protective equipment like a respirator, eye protection, rubber gloves, and boots.
Employment Type: Full Time
Compensation: $60,000.00 to $75,000.00 / Year
To begin the application process, click ApplyReturn To Positions