Summary: The Part-Time Environmental Educator works closely with fellow Environmental Educators and reports to the Education Program Manager. The main responsibility of the Part-Time Environmental Educator is to carry out Hawai‘i Nature Center’s (HNC) mission through its high-caliber programs to connect children and families to nature and create future stewards of Hawai‘i.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the supervision of the Education Program Manager, Part-Time Environmental Educators are responsible for:
• Teaching outdoor environmental education field programs to elementary school children and the wider public community.
• Sharing their knowledge of environmental science and Hawai‘i’s ecology while leading groups in forest, stream, coastal, and wetland habitats.
• Leading nature-based day camps during school intersessions and summers.
• Assisting in all aspects of program preparation, set-up of equipment and field sites, and post-program cleaning duties.
• Contributing to curriculum development.
• Working on other varied projects as required, including hiking trail maintenance, and maintenance of facilities.
• Supporting the mission of the Hawai‘i Nature Center.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
• B.A. or B.S. degree OR 2 years of experience/education in the following fields: education, environmental sciences, natural resource management, sustainability or Hawaiian studies.
• Experience teaching and working with children, and an ability to work with varying ages. Candidates must have a genuine interest in child development and mentorship. Experience in environmental education is preferred.
• Strong knowledge of environmental science, and Hawai‘i’s flora, fauna, natural history, and cultural history.
• Candidates must be dependable, punctual, and take pride in their work.
• Ability to work in a team setting with enthusiasm and creativity. Candidates must have well-developed communication skills and a positive attitude.
• Must be comfortable with remote supervision and have the ability to work both independently and in a group. Candidates must possess leadership skills and the ability to follow directions.
• Must be able to work extended hours in natural elements (sun, rain, wind) and be able to carry up to 50 pounds of weight.
• Driver's license preferred.
• Candidates must be able to pass a background check
Physical Demands –
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Work Environment –
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
As a Part-Time Educator, the employee is expected to take on a strong leadership role and be willing and able to handle on site programs while the Program Coordinator is NOT present. The employee must always be aware of safety and appropriate behaviors of other educators. The employee must also be willing to give and receive constructive criticism when needed.
Hours/Pay: Part-Time (around 19 hours per week). Pay ranges from $14-$16/hour depending on experience.
About the Hawai‘i Nature Center: The mission of the Hawai‘i Nature Center is to foster awareness, appreciation and understanding of Hawaii's environment and to encourage wise stewardship of the Hawaiian Islands by educating children with an interactive and immersive approach. Established in 1981, the Hawai‘i Nature Center has been a leader in environmental education in Hawai‘i for more than thirty-five years. We deliver award-winning programs to more than 20,000 elementary and middle school children from both public and private institutions each year, helping to encourage environmental stewardship through hands-on investigative field study and experiences. Our programs are primarily conducted outdoors in the field, exposing children to a range of ecosystems in watershed, coastal, marsh and forest environments.
Employment Type: Part Time
Compensation: $14.00 to $16.00 / Hourly